Sunday, February 17, 2008

Get That Fire Hose of Information Out of My Face!

I have my sippy straw brain capacity and it is just not enough to comprehend this fire hose of information I have being thrown in my face. What does that all mean? It means I have started fourth year. You may be told many times that 4th year is full on but nothing actually prepares you for it. I am at uni in the same room and lecturers rotate to us. Three or four hours in the “dungeon” , 80 of us crammed into a tiny windowless usually too cold or waaaaay to hot room and then a one hour break and then 4 hours in a lab, practical, or rotation.

2008, SEMESTER 1
VET432 Surgical Principles & Anaesthesia
VET433 Diagnostic Imaging
VET435 Veterinary Epidemiology & Public Health 2008,

FULL YEAR
VET436 Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
VET437 Production Animal Health and Management
VET438 Equine Medicine and Surgery
VET439 Reproduction & Obstetrics
VET441 Avian Exotic Pets and Wildlife Medicine

2008, SEMESTER 2
VET401 Applied Veterinary Medicine I


It is the stuff I have waited for, all the interesting stuff, the stuff that really matters, but it is SOOOOO MUCH STUFF. The first lab was surgical hand scrubbing, as we all stood there in our surgery scrubs hands in the air we looked at eachother and the look of oh $%^& we are really going to be vets and be the ones DOING surgery not watching dawned on us. I have watched surgery for 9 years. I was still not prepared for the feeling I felt on Monday washing over me and saying I WILL BE IN CHARGE. I WILL BE THE ONE RESPONSIBLE.

I passed the first half and I have yet another BS this time called a BVSc a bachelor in veterinary science. Now it is time for the bachelor of veterinary medicine and surgery.

The lectures are interesting they are not on the webCT system so there is NO missing any part of class to go to work early. In fact there is hardly any work, only two shifts a week if that. My first rotation is Equine for 4 weeks on Thurs and Fri every week. We just did the physical exam of the horse and saw endoscopy which is really awesome. We were quizzed on all the anatomy we learned so long ago and I really don’t know how I passed the first time because I don’t remember any of those bones and ligaments (had to get rid of that info to allow pathology, pharmacology, and toxicology to have room). Next week is Equine dentistry.

We are learning everything there is to know about everything that has to do with radiology, and radiography. Even down to the photons and electrons in outer shells and all the physics which I thought I left behind YEARS ago. I love radiology, but NOT radiography. Cant I just follow the chart on the wall and point and shoot and still get my licence? Guess not, guess I have to know what is happening to the patient and me on the cellular level.

It is ironic that are lecturer on anaesthesia puts us to sleep. I am happy to say he has been the only one that is very hard to stay awake for. All the others are interesting, just so very very fast. You really have to know what is important to write down and what else you can look up.

Life outside of vet school? What life….he he. I went to big day out again this year with Steve and all his friends and had a great time. I cant believe a year has already passed since the last one. I have a small furry child running around the house. He is Sebastian the Crab Man our little cat. The little guy that was sooo sick and not going to make it to six months is bright and healthy and following me everywhere and throwing everything off my desk as we speak. He likes to eat anything on the floor and even follows you to the bathroom and sticks his little paw under why oh why can he not be where you are every second of every day, the little mischief maker 

Steve is away on vacation on the gold coast with his dad but since he left before valentines day he surprised me on Tuesday. He took me to Kings Park overlooking the city and had a romantic picnic dinner all planned out. So thoughtful!!!

I have to go study more equine medicine and I will try to write to everyone who writes back individually. I just cut back on all my shifts at work so besides studying and more studying I wont be doing much else. But I must study as much as I can because now I have lives in my hands and I better know what I am doing, oh and I will have 12 finals as well so I sure as heck better keep up.

Cheers,

-Christina

4 comments:

The Ethical Miss said...

It's fun and exciting when you finally get to the good classes - the ones that make you feel like you're about to become a vet for real!

Anonymous said...

Just popping in to say hi! Sounds like you're very busy. Hope all is well... :)

Tayaki said...

heya! would you mind telling me (you can email me at umassgecko@gmail.com) the loan company you are borrowing from so i can avoid having them sending me my money very very late? thank you very much! :)

Dragonfly said...

I want a cat :-(
Like medicine though, it is easier the more clinical exposure you get...