Thursday, June 7, 2007

3 Down 2 to Go

Random writings of the goings on at vet school Down Under

Ok I have had three finals and I have two left to go. I have no clue what I got on the pathology practical final, I feel ok, but I dont want to jinx myself, on the Pharmacology final. I studied EVERYTHING for that and had a massive panic attack overwhelmed with stress thingy. Sometimes IT DOES get a bit overwhelming. At the last minute, I decided to go over the previous semesters exams, and wouldn't you know it but it was almost like he cut and paste from those exams. All I needed to do was study those and the cardiology notes and I would have been fine. Oh well you never know.

Now I know if I just study the previous exams for Nutrition and Pathology Theory that I will probably get screwed and nothing will be from those. But my battle plan is still going to be this: fingers crossed some stuff will be from old exams...so I will do all of those and study the information that goes with those questions. If I have time after that, like my good friend Courtney says "sit back with a cup of green tea and read the reader and your notes over again, highlight important information and go back and write it down." Well I have read the reader and my notes and highlighted so many times that I have invented a new color...first reading was yellow, then pink, then green, and then blue...oh look all my important information is highlighted in some mauve color LOL!

Today was the farm prac final, and as Steve said, I am having steak for dinner and bacon for breakfast after that one. 10:30 we were assigned a cow each.
1. Age, breed, and condition score the cow please
-hmmmm, breed: well it is mostly black making it an angus cross of some sort but only the face is white kind of like a hereford...I am guessing Angus Hereford cross???? Correct!!! woo hoo
-damn cow wont lift its head for me to stick my hand in and look at the teeth, still trying to lift stuborn cows head....still fighting with it....smashed hand...wonder if I should use the evil nose pliers, nope I think I will try just using my fingers instead. Head flys up, almost sends me flying...full set of teeth, look sort of new...I am saying 31/2 -4 years??? Correct!!!!
-Not too fat, not too skinny A score of 2 1/2 -3 Correct!!!!

2. Apply a mouth gag please
- Wrestle cow for a bit...thrown around a bit...does not want giant metal thing in mouth, finally get it





3. Please insert giant metal rod into mouth and then shove tube into stomach of unhappy cow
-lots more wrestling, very unhappy cow, succeed in getting it into stomach and back severely hurting now

4. Apply rope and restrain front leg
5. Apply v-sling rope you must make from one peice of rope to back leg
6. Give heart rate, respiratory rate and temp of adult cow (I think I botched that up)
7. Tell every intricate detail you know about the correct sites of IM injection...SQ and IV

Next at 11:00 was the terrible, horrible, evil pigs

I got lucky for the first time ever...my partner not so much...she got assigned Pig #2 and these pigs have been poked and prodded for the entire semester + they are 90kilos easy = one very smart, very unhappy, very LARGE beast at the end of the rope.

Must catch pig by nose with noose of rope and tie WITH CORRECT KNOT to the fence...pig knows what is going on, pig even once caught rears into air and smashes me and my partner...this is her pig and she has to catch, and tie and draw blood from the ear vein...many tries, my hand is smashed and bruised...pig so bad we have to give up and it is my turn :(

Pig #5 please be good...he only took three tries...hit the ear vein first shot I love you #5 pig

Back to devil pig #2...metal snare time...many more tries to catch and tie pig...both of us covered in blood and who knows what else...finally she gets blood from screaming pig...we are both smashed up

What??? Temp and IM injection time...turn around and #5 is laying down...I love you #5...jab needle into neck...pig does not move...shove thermometer in bum...pig looks at me, but does not move HOW LUCKY IS THAT...everyone else trying to hit running targets

So I am bruised, covered in blood, and "smell worse than the Cats litter box" says my roommate when I get home...BUT I PASSED!!!!

Now time to go to work...what work...I can barely move, I need a back massage...oh the pain and now 6 hours on my feet feeding drinks to the locals...oh gooody!!!

No comments: