Thursday, June 21, 2007

I Am the Woman from Snowy River

Random writings of the goings on at vet school Down Under

All finals are done...woo hoo! I have no idea how I did on any but I hope I at least passed.

Now, I am out in the middle of nowhere and there are no words to describe how sore my ass is LOL!! I just spent the last 5 hours on horseback, and no, this is no little trail ride type horse ride. This is oh shit a bunch of calves have just broken off the mob of 300+ cows you are mustering, Christina, race your horse over there...jumping over creeks...running through tress "duck" the low branches and run as fast as you can to head them off and bring them back.

Wow..I am mustering cattle on horse back in the Outback. It is yet one more thing on my list of things to do before I die that I can cross off. My list is getting so small. There are no words to describe the site of four people on horse back racing through gorges, jumping over logs and catching those straggling calves, and having kangaroos hopping along side as well. Spectacular!! And to be racing right along with them...then have a battle plan of who races where next? Who goes to the top of the hill in the distance to get that lost calf, and who keeps the massive mob going?

I have all the gear...my own authentic Australian Driza Bone jacket that is pure leather and goes all the way to the boots, the hat, the horse...I AM THE WOMAN FROM SNOWY RIVER, I just cant move and I have two weeks of this wich is great...just oh so sore.

So the massive mob we had today was all the way to the last paddock and we were at the gate...the sun was setting and about 1/4 of the mob broke in a run back the wrong way. Two of us stayed behind, racing back and forth to keep the remaining cows there and two took off at full speed across the field. They tried to bring them back but a no go and the sun was setting so we had to close the last fence and get them down to the yards tomorrow.

I will write more after dinner.....

No comments: