Thursday, June 21, 2007

I Castrate for a Living

Random writings of the goings on at vet school Down Under

So I have been a bit busy, and after a really hard days work I dont feel much like blogging. Yesterday was soooo tough. Ok, Tuesday...we got the massive mob down to the pen at the cattle yard...then tea time. I have never drank so much tea in my life LOL! There is always time for tea is a great motto. It is a good break as well...good long ride, then boots off, hats off horses set loose for a break, and 30 minutes to an hour of sitting around and talking about everything under the sun. Tea finished, catch horses and back out we go to move another mob...then more tea and load the horses on the trailer (called a float here) and we are off to a location 30 minutes away to muster more cattle close to another yard. Stop at the neighbors...which is very far away for yep, you guessed it more tea and chit chat for an hour or two and then back for dinner and after....more tea and talking. I was told that none of us would be smiling after Wednesday night...and they sure were right.

Wednesday morning...get cows in yard and then draft cows and calves (separate them from each other) tea at 10 :) 11 time to mark 245 calves. This is a long painful process of tearing chunks out of their ears and putting tags in both...and yes, if they are male, castrating them on the spot...in the mud etc. I was on ear torture duty on Wednesday and I felt aweful making them scream like that, and boy could they scream. I fell in the mud, boot got stuck and my foot came out and sock went in the mud, then both hands. This was while trying to scare cattle into next yard. As soon as I fell, they came running right by me, and I thought, soon over me. I decided I would be much more use if they did not need a snorkel to come find me and stay around the edge where it was a bit harder ground. The guys told me they were going to stick a flag on my head so they knew where I was in the herd...ha ha ha, very funny :P

The vet came out to look at three bulls who have been a bit "too busy" lately and broke their gear..poor bulls, still interested in the females, but could not do a thing with them. The vet was actually from America, which was great because I had not met any American vets so it was great to talk to him while he shoved his arm up bull's asses and posed for shots with the bull penises always with a smile on his face LOL...calf marking was still going on and once he was gone I had to go back to it...the sun had just set after the last calf...good timing, but I felt like I was going to die. The cattle men are all smiles...covered in mud, blood and crap...I eventually smile and all the little calves run happily back to mum.

Thursday, mustering another herd in and moving three bulls in to replace broken ones...34 kangaroos spring up and go tearing past the horses which is quite a site. Tea time again LOL...a bit longer this time because Cliff's wife joins us for tea and stories. Catch the horses and then drive off to another location to muster more cattle close to yards...draft all the cows and Ian's wife and little Sophie come join us for a bit. Kate also comes and joins for the fun. Then lunch time and TEA...and then back out to mark :( This time I got to weild the scalpel blade and castrated about 10 calves he he...the cattle men are "what is your boyfriends name" he better watch out now lol...it started to rain though so I figured I would leave the slippery scalpel to the experts and do more next week when it is hopefully dry.

I should introduce you to the players in this madness:

I am staying with the farm manager Ian Mckenzie, his wife Nicole, and there 9 month old daughter Sophie. Michael, Ians retired friend from Narrogin has joined us, and Cliff, Ians other retired friend has joined as well. They have been doing this for almost 30 years Today Kate, who is actually studying human nursing joined us for the fun as well. Tomorrow all of us, including Nicole and little Sophie will be on horse back and we will be moving the cows away from the yard and bringing some closer....NO MARKING because it is Friday and then nothing on the weekend. On Monday, another vet student joins us for the fun.

Ok very tired with these 5 am wake up 6:30 am on horseback days...nighty night

No comments: