Sunday, July 29, 2007

Its Mating Time!!!

Random writings of the goings on at vet school Down Under
Ha ha got your attention.  Just got back from my Alpaca farm prac and that is what time it was...more on that.  Lets see here....the Americans who were active on my forum are here in Perth now.  Welcome Chris, Jared, Emily, and Marie...and Steph your an awesome friend for coming here and helping Emily set up. 

It has been great fun watching them get used to their culture shock.  Favorite line of the year, "Was he trying to smell me?"  LMAO.  No, he was giving you a kiss on the cheek as a greeting.  Yes, the culture is different...no you dont tip, yes the stores are already closed he he.  I helped them with their banks and took them to campus and now they have a four bedroom four bath house which is unheard of here.  Get ready for your first year here guys it will be quite an experience.

On to the farm!  I just spent the last week at River Gum Rise Alpaca stud....check it out.  So up till now I have wrestled with sheep, captured pigs, mustered cattle, and herded horses.  Handled, drew blood etc from all of them.  This is my first time with Alpacas and I think I found my new favorite animal.

The pros of the Alpaca...very intelligent, I will not speak for the cattle and sheep, but lets just say not playing with a full deck.  Cattle have liquid poo which they wont hesitate to do all over you.  Alpacas have solid movements that they only do on communal piles.  They dont smell, they are clean, they are soooo soft, they are not too big, they like cuddles and the owners may have 400 but each one has a name and a history.  Alpaca owners are great to work with.  They are not the type to just shoot one if it breaks a leg or gets sick.

These guys were great fun to work with...just look


..>..>
..

No comments: