Monday, July 9, 2007

Random writings of the goings on at vet school Down Under

2 years ago today I was sitting miles away from home or anyone I knew in the Auckland airport about to start the craziest journey of my life ever. It is weird but being at the half way point I have almost those same feelings as I did that day...ok maybe not quite as bad.

So much has changed since I have arrived it is crazy...two years ago I was absolutely terrified of round-abouts, thought vegemite was from Mars, could not find any comfort foods of home and craved them constantly. I was amazed at how dark all the streets were at night and how the stores closed so early. Speaking of stores it would take me a good 2 hours to get through the darn grocery store as I had NO IDEA where everything was kept and what the heck everything was and nothing was familiar and it was frustrating. I rode public transport and when I crossed the street I looked the wrong way and almost got squashed many many times. I had no job, no family, no friends, no car, no dog and knew nothing about ...well anything. It was a giant blind leap into the unknown.

Learning experiences were daily: What the heck is a "shout"? What does it mean you are pissed, are you angry?? Wait, no you are drunk. You took the piss out of someone...huh? I dont get it? What is a middy? A tinny? A stubby holder...huh? Your going to your nan's for Chrissie to unwrap pressies??? Oh your going to Grandmas for Christmas to unwrap presents...got it!!! This abreviation thing is going to take a bit to get used to. Sausage rolls and pies....hmmm might try them eventually and no way not the vegemite. What a cocktail is $15 but I only ordered one...oh that is the price for only one. Australians dont really like Mexican food....what!!! No Mexican food??? I guess it is a far swim from Latin America...hmmmm.

Do Australians work??? How laid back is it really I cant remember ever missing a day for holidays back in the states. I cant remember people getting holidays off. I worked every holiday ALWAYS and if I did not there was someone who would. I worked after hours, over hours, every hour....and here I see job advertising for veterinarians that state paid annual holiday leave of 4 weeks, paid conference leave, no after hours required...but every third Saturday and only 4 days a week. What in the heck is that??? I do believe a veterinary job in the US would say ....80 -90 hour work week a must, holidays , weekends, after hours, over hours on call every day all day 365 days a year mandatory

And what is with everyone saying they will call or will be there and then never doing either...hmmm and never on time LOL!! And WA stands for wait awhile..oh yes it does. There are waiting bays at fast food restaurants... Why is there not pay at the pump? I have to go inside always, well that used to be dangerous crossing the parking lot where I come from he he. What no tips??? I dont get tips and I dont tip anyone??? Very strange...there is more soooooooo much more.

Two years later...I know where everything is in the store and I am in and out like a flash now...I can find orange cheddar, jalepenos, heinz ketchup, American hot dogs....some equivalent of Ranch dressing... and almost anything else I need. I can make some pretty good Mexican food and a killer margarita. I can now officially "take the piss" out of anyone who takes the piss out of me and apparently I am liked for it. Roundabouts are fun especially while shoving a sausage roll or pie in your face after squeezing tomato sauce on it with those nifty squeezy sauce dispenser packet thingies. I dont look the wrong way anymore when crossing the street and I do get in on the right side of the car now

I plan my shopping accordingly in order to avoid the massive crowds of Thursdays and Saturdays.

Even I find myself abreviating words he he...and being a bit more laid back about EVERYTHING...it is nice. Vegemite on toast in the morning with a slice of cheese = yummy. American friends are great to have here but you truly need Australian friends to get over home sickness....and of course to take the piss out of each other.

My dog is here, I have a car, I have a job, I have made friends, and found the greatest guy ever...actually he found me :P And no Australia is no longer a male based society with womanizers on every corner. In fact, it is not like that at all in any way as far as I can tell. Soooo much has changed, and all for the best I believe...bring on the next 2 years and then wooooo hooo graduation. I cant wait to see what else I will discover, what else will happen....where will life take me.

Two years in a nutshell

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heyyy Stiny, it's me Tors. Love this post! You've come a long way, baby, as the cig ad says. hehehe.

Jennifer said...

I love this post too!!!! (Squashy from YDU, xx)